Don’t lose weight.
Yes, I know the entire world is harping on obesity and that you should exercise and eat right or you will die (yawn). What you should also know is that you have more to lose than losing weight, when if and how you lose it.
1) Food tastes good. Period. When you diet, you eat less food, and thereby you voluntarily removed happiness from your life. And even if you go on Weight Watcher which lets you eat everything, the only reason they let you eat everything is because the assign a gadrillion points to the good stuff and hope you’ll choose rabbit food, just so you can eat more (even though you’re probably better off eating those cookies and starving the rest of the day because celery just doesn’t cut it)
2) You’ll have to buy new clothes. I know this sounds like a good thing, but it’s really not. You have your wardrobe now, you like it, it’s you. You spent good time and money adjusting it to your taste, and yes, that black dress does fit you too perfectly, in a good way. There will be no such thing as favorite sweater; maybe it can be your new favorite bag. And considering the economy, you really cannot afford a new wardrobe that is up to your standards
3) You will ruin your self esteem. No one thinks you’re fat. Yes, we can all probably drop 5 pounds, but you’re not morbidly obese. When you lose weight, all of a sudden everyone will tell you “Wow, you look amazing, how much did you lose…” and you will come away from that exchange with the thoughts…what did I look like before, and you will go home and cry and write in your diary “I am ugly”. You’re better off not knowing what you looked like before by making no after in the first place.
4) People will stop complimenting you. When you are of average size, people look out for you. They want to make you feel good, because they want you to reciprocate, because they feel connection, solidarity between the two of you. People have expectations of skinny people. They don’t feel that solidarity, and assume that your perfectly matched ensemble happened by itself. They think you don’t need the compliment, or acknowledgment, especially not from them, because skinny people are their own breed. Only skinny people can compliment skinny people.
5) Skinny people have no personality. They don’t need one because they are skinny. Although I’m sure won’t need your personality when you’re skinny, you will miss it, and if you don’t everyone else you know will and they will start looking for it, and in their desperate search they will abandon you and you will be left alone and friendless, but you will be skinny, so I’m not sure if that matters.
6) And for you girls where besides for weight, everyone is harping on tznius…skinny people can’t get away with anything. When you are skinny everyone is looking for your collarbone and knees (well, they are little more obvious). Everyone gives fat and average people a free pass. They get that collars needs to be little lower to accommodate your girth. And clothes aren’t tight, they are just tailored for your frame for maximum effect…It’s hard to find someone calling an average girl a “prutzah”, skinny girls come with label and have to prove that it doesn’t apply.
In all honesty, I just lost 10 pounds. My clothes don’t fit, and my sisters and friends are already calling dibs. I like my clothes…and they just might be worth 10 pounds.